Hydrotherapy & Physiotherapy
Hydrotherapy uses the natural elements of water, providing a low impact program of treatment specifically for pet’s muscles, joints and general wellbeing.
Using the natural elements of water, hydrotherapy provides a low impact environment that can radically help rehabilitate pets with joint or muscular conditions. It also contributes to their general wellbeing and quality of life.
Activity in warm water relieves pain and inflammation, builds muscle strength and tone without impact, increases joint support and strength and allows the body to return to a more natural movement pattern.
Veterinary physiotherapy is focused upon restoring, promoting and maintaining function and physical wellbeing. It can be used post-surgery or after injury, to manage ongoing musculoskeletal or orthopaedic conditions, or as a maintenance programme to prevent tightness and tenderness affecting locomotion and performance.
At our single level Chiswick centre, we have a pool and water treadmill facilities. We can provide stand alone or integrated hydrotherapy & physiotherapy treatment programs.
Conditions & benefits
Many conditions benefit from treatment, but some of the most common are:
- Orthopaedic conditions (inc. dysplasia) Non-weight bearing activity can help improve joint range of motion, strengthen muscles to support joints and relieve pain, stiffness and inflammation
- Lameness Improved muscle patterning and recruitment, helping to improve gait patterns
- Degenerative conditions (inc. DJD) Slowing the progression of symptoms and improving quality of life
- Surgical recovery Allowing a quicker recovery to normal activities for your dog
- Obesity Weight loss through low impact cardio exercise, reducing joint stress
- Neurological conditions Sensory stimuli provided by physiotherapy and hydrotherapy can help the redevelopment of neurological pathways and limit loss of muscle tone and joint stiffness during inactivity.
In general, treatment can also help your pet with:
- Increased muscle mass & strength
- Decreased pain, pain perception and inflammation
- Relaxation of muscle tension and/or muscle spasm
- Reduction of swelling